are dynamic partners and campus leaders in advancing inquiry and learning for KU, the state of Kansas, and an ever-expanding community of world scholars. They acquire, organize, disseminate and preserve scholarship in traditional and digital forms; develop and deliver resources and services through innovative means to enhance research and teaching; and help students become information literate, technologically sophisticated and globally aware.
In their unique role on campus, KU Libraries balance the work of preserving irreplaceable cultural treasures while bringing the newest tools and resources to scholars. In this period of rapid change, KU Libraries anticipate and develop the skills and organizational frameworks that will best support researchers in the future, while carefully managing the resources entrusted to them.
Enhance student success and expand opportunities
- The Learning Studio at Anschutz Library: KU Libraries work to adapt to the changing academic landscape and give students the tools they need to succeed. With its blend of technology, comfort and flexibility, the Learning Studio is built to help students excel at KU, enhancing the Chancellor’s goals of student recruitment, engagement and retention. Learning Studio partners include KU Info, Student Success, KU IT, KU Dining, and the Writing Center. This project requires private funding to support building renovation, furniture, equipment, technology, faculty and staff.
- Collections: At KU Libraries, we invest in high-quality materials in many formats that serve research, teaching and learning needs at KU. The libraries are home to rich collections — both traditional and online — of more than 4.4 million volumes and 90,000 subscriptions to journals, magazines and newspapers. Private gifts of any amount support building, processing, digitizing and preserving collections in the social sciences, humanities and science and technology areas.
Prepare leaders for Kansas and beyond
- Faculty support: Librarians are a critical link between patrons and information. Gifts supporting professional development and training in new skills and expertise mean KU Libraries can continue to deliver top-notch support to campus people and priorities. Librarians at KU are exploring innovative new support models, such as “embedded librarianship,” which enable them to work more closely with students and other library users.
Drive discovery, outreach and innovation
- Digital scholarship: KU Libraries provide faculty and scholars with expertise and tools for creating and using digital scholarship to enhance research, teaching and learning at KU. Library consultants focus on organizing and preserving the results of today’s research for tomorrow’s scholars. In spaces both physical and virtual, faculty find expert consultants, educational opportunities and digital tools. These efforts require private funding to support technology upgrades, building renovations, furniture, equipment, faculty and staff. Giving opportunities include named spaces (multimedia conference room, offices, study spaces, etc.) and faculty positions.
Emerge as a top-tier international research university
- Open Access: In 2009, KU became the first public university in the United States to adopt a faculty-initiated open access policy for the faculty research published in peer-reviewed journals. KU continues to be a worldwide leader in open access today. The university’s policy, which is implemented by KU Libraries, asserts the rights of KU faculty to provide broad, free access to their journal publications to colleagues around the world, dramatically increasing visibility and reach for research conducted at KU. This program requires private funding to support software, technology and implementation. Giving opportunities include software for streamlining and automating the submission process, additional technology tools for open access support, and events like Open Access Week, which highlight KU as an international leader in the open access movement.
offers an unprecedented opportunity for donors to help elevate and enrich KU Libraries, and to enhance a rich resource for broad, interdisciplinary research that will benefit citizens of Kansas for many generations to come. Thank you for partnering with us to realize this vision.